Kolam Rice – 1 cup
Full Fat Milk – 1 liter
Sugar – 2/3 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Cashew Nuts – 8 to 10
1. Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes and later drain the water.
2. Boil milk and reduce the quantity to approx 700 ml and keep aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pressure cooker and roast the cashew nuts. Keep them aside.
4. Now heat the remaining ghee and add rice into it. Keep on stirring for 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Slowly add the reduced milk into it and keep on stirring for sometime.
6. When milk starts boiling, close the lid of pressure cooker and allow one or two whistles.
7. Switch off the gas and allow releasing the pressure.
8. After opening the lid, add sugar, water and cardamom powder and mix well.
9. Switch on the gas and allow the payasam to boil for 10 minutes under slow to medium flame.
10. Finally switch off the gas and garnish with roasted cashews.
11. Allow to cool the paal payasam for some time and serve it.